Monday, November 14, 2011

#13 Lauren Curtis

This past week was a short, productive two days of practice before we were off to California on Wednesday.  It was an exciting, but bittersweet last travel trip, especially for me and the other three seniors.   We came out strong against Sac State in the first set, but then things fell by the wayside.  We packed up and drove 2.5 hours to Frenso that night determined to make a change against Bakersfield.  Tired from the match and a night of travel we were all very grateful to have a home cooked meal at Sarah Horton’s house in the morning!  Everything her Mom, Aunt, and Grandma made was delicious!  We were all very excited to meet Sarah’s cat, George.  She talks about this cat all the time, and had even asked her Mom to allow her to bring him up to school with her.  She calls George “my pie.”  She definitely loves this cat!  I’m usually a dog person, but George was a very cute, white, fluffy, 10 year old cat!  After leaving Sarah’s house Scooter lead us to Bakersfield in just under two hours, woohoo!  We came out our first night against Bakersfield a little sloppy and unready to defend against their strong outside attack.  However, our second chance at them the next night, even with some of our players out with the flu, we were able to come together for a 3-0 win!!

The four seniors are all in Scooter’s van.  We had lot of fun this year, and are sad that it all is finally coming to an end!  This weekend we had many laughs and good times.  Scooter dancing to LMFAO, singing Adele, Rachelle’s hair falling out, Scoot impersonating the dog in the truck next to us, and so much more…all the #benifitsofdrivingwithscooter!  It’s all the little moments that I have learned to treasure.  In high school, near the end of my senior season my coach gave us all something to remind us of that.  It’s a laminated yellow sheet of paper with this quote: “To my mind, the idea that doing dishes is unpleasant can occur only when you aren’t doing them. Once you are standing in front of the sink with your sleeves rolled up and your hands in the warm water, it is really quite pleasant. I enjoy taking my time with each dish, being fully aware of the dish, the water, and each movement of my hands. I know that if I hurry in order to eat dessert sooner, the time of washing dishes will be unpleasant and not worth living. That would be a pity, for each minute, each second of life is a miracle. The dishes themselves and that fact that I am here washing them are miracles!” -Thich Nhat Hanh.  I have kept this quote near and dear to my heart ever since.

I am very excited for a great final week of practices before we finish our season with two home matches!  I am happy that my family will be here this weekend to help me celebrate this chapter of my life coming to a close.  Come out and see our final matches against Weber State and Idaho State Friday and Saturday nights!  It has been an amazing ride and I am very happy to have shared it with all of you!  Thank you!  Go CATS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers