Tuesday, November 22, 2011

#6 Nicole Baker



The season has come to a conclusion, and what a tumultuous, heartbreaking, exciting, and hilarious one it has been. This past weekend marked the final two games of our season, and I’m happy to say that it ended on a positive note. We beat both Weber State and Idaho State, and sent our seniors off in style. Speaking of the seniors, in order to commemorate their time here, I wrote a speech about them that I presented for the locker room before the game Saturday, and I will reiterate it for the pleasure of a wider audience.

Nicole’s Senior Night Speech
I really just want to share a couple of humorous tales about these seniors who I’ve been lucky enough to play with in order to honor their time here.

First up, Chelsea Oemecke. You’re probably the only person I’ve met in my life who might possibly be weirder than I am. Thank you for all those times my locker got too messy and you set a trashcan down in the middle of it to “subtly” hint at me to clean it up.

Rachelle: your candy craving will always be legendary. My favorite instance of this is on our spring bus trip when a snickers bar fell out of your bag, rolled all the way too front of the bus, and comes to rest at coach’s feet.  She immediately picks it up, and without asking an questions, yells “RACHELLE!!”

Lauren, you took my poor little terrified freshman self under your wing when I first got here, and we were friends ever since. You’re probably the only 6’2’’ college athlete in the world with a pillow pet called Darnelle. People have frequently asked me on trips when they see you holding it, talking to it, and snuggling with it, “She knows she’s in college right?”

Last but not least, my roommate Alex. Thank you for putting up with my antics, teaching me things around the kitchen that a 12 year old usually knows how to do, and pointing out to me when I make toast and run out of the house while leaving it sitting in the toaster.

The four of you are some of the best people and volleyball players I’ve ever had the pleasure to stand next to on the court, and I hope you all never forget all the weird, awkward, crazy, hilarious, and amazing times we’ve had on this team together, because I know I never will.

End of Speech

Perhaps the record this season doesn’t reflect our expected potential, but I know that the wonderful memories I’ve garnered from my time with the girls this season easily surpass the bad ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers